Episode 84 – C-SPAN 3 Presents A Very Mikey Kris…mas

Lay out your ho-ho-ho wreaths and stomp a flocked ornament — the Original Boys of Yule “candy-cane up” a Christmas storm! Feel the bite of winter shriek down your back and shoot out your fingertips in this never-aired holiday special.

• Ring in Jesus’ birth with animal friends!
  • Savor Mikey’s Cookie Corner, packed with mirth… and meat!
  • A drop-in and sudden holiday menacing from a long-lost sponsor!
  • With special guests… some of you!

You’ll be saying “It’s so cold, I can’t feel my face” … with laughter.

16 Responses to Episode 84 – C-SPAN 3 Presents A Very Mikey Kris…mas

1. MikeyNeumann says:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE! We love you.

I laughed so hard through the entire first segment (well, most of it – MIKEY), that I'm certain I missed at least 25-35% of the lines. No matter, as I plan to listen to it again tomorrow during my cookie baking. (No Jack Link snickerdeeds; although I do plan on trying to make legit snickerdoodles, which I've never done)

Honestly, guys, this was delightful in all its bizarre improv weirdness – I loved it. Tom Blake might have dragged on a bit for me – but then when he ran off, firing his blunderbuss (okay, pistol, whatever) into the crowd, that livened it up for sure. Other than that, no complaints at all from me (as is tradition).

RIP Kyle Douglas, possibly some C-SPAN 3 audience members, and the entire population of Australian Christmas wolves. *sobs*

Oh, and Merry Christmas to both of you, and all my fellow Chainsawsuiters! This has been quite a year, and I'm glad I've spent some portion of it in the company of you fine folks. <3

3. MikeyNeumann says:

Has anyone seen Kyle Douglas? Did he recover from the mandiblation, circa, #WolfAttack2014? Worried about ya, man. Love ya, sorry we had to jet so quickly after the show.

Hey, I appreciate the concern! Thankfully it's all worked out pretty well thanks to fear of litigation from all parties involved!

C-SPAN3 set me up in one of those secret government labs where they've got the real medical advances of the past decade. Both my carotid arteries and most of my jaw was replaced from the very wolf that bit me! Actually, thanks to some additional trample-related injuries sustained when the crowd panicked after animal control started firing, I'm fairly sure that I'm more wolf than man now (making me the envy of a small subsection of the internet).

Even if it was just an off-the-cuff joke by Mikey, it turns out NetherRealm Studios really is working on a "Big Santa DeathMatch" game and they let me at an early version of it! Miracle on 34th Black-and-White Santa, Rudolph Stop-Motion Santa, Futurama's Robot Santa; All your favorites are there! My personal favorite is the Santa Clause version because hitting the taunt button to issue forth those classic Tim Allen grunts just never gets old!

And finally you've got HBO. I'm sure they're pretty unhappy about having their Dire Wolf stand-ins be no longer able to stand… or breathe, but they certainly didn't let me in on any of that. All they wanted to do was make sure I was completely appeased and not interested in trying to get a piece of their RR Martin pie. So they made sure I was Snow'd in this Christmas, haha!

So, even considering being unconscious for most of the live performance, the massive blood transfusions, the organ transplants, and the upcoming months of physical/psychological therapy… I'd say this episode was a complete success on my end and yours!

…man, I really can't wait to get these bandages off so I can gnaw on some jerky and howl.

Super, mega, extra, awesome bonus points for putting that on NetherRealm. That's a whole extra layer of depth to go for a joke and I want you to know that I appreciate it.

Oh, Kyle, it's worse than I thought. They allowed you to be bitten by an Australian Christmas Wolf then left you for dead? I guess they figured suing was too good for you. RIP, man.

I listened to this while wrapping gifts (twice)–it sure made the time fly. I'll be listening to it again, sigh (that's a sigh for the wrapping, not the listening).

I can absolutely picture Giggleloop applauding with severed wolf paws. I've checked all over for mistleteeth, maybe next year.

Congratulations to the newest chainsawsuitor, I raise a souvenir Condor teat in your honor, Don and Stephanie. *celebratory gunfire*

Bartender! A round of goat slurry for the house, if you please. Happy everything, everyone.

5. BostonSean says:

"Accidents happen, hey that used to be C-span 3's slogan" might be the funniest joke i've heard in a long long time.
    ITS A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

6. Sorry says:

Sorry Kris, in these skits the two of you sound like you’re trying so hard to be funny. Please, get some constructive criticism if you’re going to keep doing improv skits for a whole hour.

I put this on a few times before bed.
    The wolves and such surprisingly didn't cause endless nightmares.
    Boo.
    I like the breadth of this podcast. The improv stuff isn't my favorite part but it's still worth a listen for sure.

8. Sorry again says:

Ok, I’ll try to be constructive. I enjoyed parts of this episode but, there was a lot of stuff that doesn’t go anywhere. The wolves were very funny, and I laughed quite a bit. Then, trying on Santa clothes didn’t go anywhere. Then the cookies. Eating disgusting foods with a lot of sloppy, puking noises into the microphone happens in your improv skits a lot. It’s always really hard to listen to. Then, the congressman with the gun didn’t go anywhere. You said this character was from the first episode but, it’s like Saturday Night Live where they bring back a character that wasn’t funny in the first place.

There are a lot of funny moments and oneliners in this episode but most of the time it drags while you both try to figure out where it’s going. This episode seriously could have been a very funny 20 minutes but, instead it’s a whole hour long, and instead of cutting it shorter you guys add in applause sound effects, gun shots and music to stretch it out. You guys have done funny improv skits before but they lasted like 3 minutes each. I’m sorry but if you’re not good at improv for an hour, don’t keep doing it. I’m not writing this to be a hater. I’m a big fan of the comics and Kris’s. I enjoyed this podcast every week but, it’s been awhile since I could say that. What you guys are doing with it the past several months just isn’t my thing anymore.

• ThomasG says:

i don't like the food noises
      it feels like it's been quite a while since there was a long-form improv ep (chainsawsuit:the movie springs to mind, though maybe a gamergulp ep would count?). which is why this is a bit confusing, as there was much more improv in earlier episodes.
      "What you guys are doing the past several months" isn't much to work with, and things are going pretty dang well from my perspective. Just saying.

Thank you for coming back & giving feedback. As someone who does not have criticism as one of my strong suits, I appreciate those who can better put into words what they do/don't enjoy. Even if I don't agree, it's good to hear other sides.

• krisstraub says:

i appreciate you coming back and saying this much. i'm not sure how to respond! thank you for trying us out, at any rate.

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year. Hope you're having a good rest & recharge, you've earned it. Thank you for making my 2014 so much better than it otherwise would have been. I can't wait to see what 2015 brings. ♡