Episode 75 – Passions

This is a big episode for us, folks — you can listen to it happen live:

• Kris and Mikey talk about more of their creative passions
  • A furious mob commemorates the end of Broodhollow: Book 2
  • A romantic new movie trailer and an instant review later in the program, PLUS
  • The announcement of the Chainsawsuit Original Patreon, for all things podcast, animation, video series, webseries, reviews, albums — it’s a Kris and Mikey¬†omnimediaravaganza and beyond.¬†It’s in the early stages but check it out and get on the ground floor!
  • Cuts from our upcoming album. Deep, smokey, rich. This is like mainlining Jack Link himself
  • … plus more emotions than you would think

css_debut

37 Responses to Episode 75 – Passions

So the ongoing album art theme is going to be birds and microphones? Why is that poor dove exploding in a shower of clay and dirt? Mayhaps it has been rocked too thoroughly by the jams contained therein.

The commercials this week were just glorious. And that quiz. Not sure how I fared precisely, but not much better than Kris. We'll say 6/10.

You know me and my emotions all too well. *sniffle* No, I'm good, I just got something in both of my eyes…

Now, to work out getting a second job so I can get all up ons that Patreon! Do blood banks still pay for plasma…? I only *really* need one kidney, don't I…?

(For real, though, I'll do my damnedest to promote the living daylights out of it. Because y'all deserve it.)

That bird has clearly just burst through a cement wall to get to the microphone. Gotta love karaoke night.

2. Chloister says:

I had no idea about the album, that's awesome. Will "Four Teenagers in Love" be on it?

#TeamTyler

• giggleloop says:

You joke, but that's a damn catchy song. I hope that trailer makes it onto the album for sure.

3. thepagenebula says:

I hate to tell you this, but somebody got to your "Twilight but Cthulu" joke first! There is an actual teen paranormal romance book about a girl and Cthulu called Awoken (link below). The first line of the description:

"In his house at R’lyeh, great Cthulhu lies dreaming… of her."

Haha! Christ. When I think I've gone too far, I've not gone too far enough.

• Haha!

"Andromeda Slate, the self-proclaimed most ordinary girl in America, can’t figure out why the gorgeous but mysterious new boy at high school seems to hate her so much."

Is this book some sort of parody? I really hope it is.

• thepagenebula says:

Yeah, it's a parody alright but a pretty stealthy one. It was co-created by Lindsey Ellis (better known as The Nostalgia Chick) and they had a whole webseries documenting it's creation. They asked twitter for ideas on the most ridiculous Twilight parody ever. What's especially funny is reading the backstory on the "Author" that they have created: and checking out the Goodreads forums where the "author" interacts with people who genuinely hate the book and don't know it's a joke.

4. olivejuice says:

Kris, seeing some blam stlye animations for scared yet would be awesome. Top notch

"As we continue to work together, I do realize how unexcited I generally am. That's kind of the person I am! It's like you have to cajole, have to coax."

It's always of interest to me how often Kris seems to mirror my psyche, despite Mikey mirroring my interests more distinctly.

Patreon sends my mind into a feedback loop of dozens of contradictory thoughts regarding its system. But, I guess anyone contributing will be able to ask what those thoughts are during the pre-show, since if chainsawsuit is special enough to cajole me into commenting then I suppose it's special enough to coax me into giving this whole thing a try.

Though I am somewhat concerned how I'd define what I'm supporting.
    "Oh, you know, it's, like, this show thing. There's a bunch of rap parodies, a lot of young adult novels, and some mentions of 'sensual tentacles'. It's great!"

Perhaps thanks to that internal Patreon debate frazzling my brain, I got completely wrecked (for the first time?) by that quiz. Mikey metagamed me to a 3 out of 10.

Here's some specific feedback on the Patreon itself:
    1. The $20 support tier for the podcast offers the ongoing perk of the weekly pre-shows and monthly exclusive show. The $20 support tier for Movies with Mikey offers no such benefit. Perhaps a monthly hangout to discuss movies with Mikey might be in order? Or maybe giving it a bit more focus like a book club and having one movie a month (available on Netflix for ease of viewing) as the topic of discussion.
    2. If someone wanted both $20 support tiers, I don't think there's currently a way to do that. Perhaps a $30 tier that gives both?
    3. The leap from the $5 to $20 support level seems fairly large. Perhaps a $10 tier that gives access to the pre-show but not the monthly show? Or the other way around, depending on which you want to have a smaller audience.
    4. You jokingly mentioned a $10,000 milestone goal, but don't appear to have any real ones lined up yet. The main one that comes to mind is setting a milestone level at which you'd feel compensated well enough by the show to edit a video version again – or hire someone to do so. You might also consider milestone levels at which you'd be comfortable guaranteeing a regular update schedule (e.g. biweekly) for Movies with Mikey, or doing a monthly one-shot skit ala Facetime Apocalypse.

Regardless of the specifics, I wish the best of luck with this push towards expanding chainsawsuit.

• krisstraub says:

these are good suggestions… the patreon is very young yet, and i'm sure we'll strike a good balance. the nice thing about patreon is it doesn't have to be 100% buttoned up to launch it (like a kickstarter does). it lives and dies by audience feedback.

Re: the two $20 tiers – glad I'm not the only one struggling with this! Because I can NOT decide. Ideally, both of those are up my alley. I was thinking of cajoling a friend into backing one so I could back the other & we could share the benefits haha.

Yeah, a $10 tier seems like a win as we definitely have a gulf between 5 and 20 that probably leaves out hesitant or not as hardcore fans of our particular brand of weirdness.

Good thoughts on the dual tier for podcast / MWM.

Working on our long term goals! The video version was a hassle and I'm not sure I'm ready to bring it back just yet. But if there's consderable interest, then I won't object. It will more than likely require a new thought process on the actual creation of it. Probably something more akin to a Google Hangout that I edit on top of … but it was not great for a few reasons:

– The audio version of the show was more limited because some miscellaneous timing edits created a lot of problems when I transposed the produced podcast audio tracks to it.
      – Movies With Mikey takes less time and has 10x the audience of an average video version of the p-cast. I'd mostly just like to make more episodes of that.
      – Not entirely sure how best to interpret this data, but when the video versions were live, the total audience of the show took a dive; and I'm talking about the YT video AND the audio version added together were still sometimes 1,000-2,000 less than the average audio-only version. I noticed this by comparing the data of both before and after the video versions. It HAS to be an error, but I'm just putting it out there.

We don't want anyone to feel pressure to become part of the Patreon, but there was significant enough interest in giving us money for what we're doing that we took the next step. Kyle, you're an avid supporter of the show, always offering insight, feedback, and taking our bits to the next level in the comments. You're a bad ass; if you're not comfortable with Patreon, then we fully understand and still think you're the bees twitter feeds…

… that can't be the right colloquialism.

"Not entirely sure how best to interpret this data, but when the video versions were live, the total audience of the show took a dive; and I'm talking about the YT video AND the audio version added together were still sometimes 1,000-2,000 less than the average audio-only version. I noticed this by comparing the data of both before and after the video versions. It HAS to be an error, but I'm just putting it out there."

Hm, I don't imagine it's an error at all. You probably got a lot of people who would normally listen to the podcast while driving or such, but then saw the video version and heard it being promoted on the show as the "better" version. So, they decided to watch that version instead of listening like they normally would.
        … then they either forgot about it or didn't find the time to sit down for an hour to watch it. And, like a snap, chainsawsuit fell out of their routine : /

As I alluded to, there are certainly aspects of Patreon that make me uncomfortable (some of which were brought up by Kris regarding his thoughts on convention attendees in his "Geek a Week" interview put out this week). But the first and foremost among all positive and negative conceptions is that "I have $20, I want you to have $20. I don't want you to have $6 and me to have a shirt I don't want." thought process Kris was saying changed his mind about Patreon being dead on. So I absolutely welcome the chance to give some compensation for the 100+ hours of entertainment you've provided – and continue to provide – with the show.

• megan_made_this says:

"… then they either forgot about it or didn't find the time to sit down for an hour to watch it. "

This is *exactly* what I experienced when the video version was happening. I tend to listen to the 'cast in some combination of drive time and work time. I wanted so badly to get in on the video that I never wanted to spoil it by listening first, but then it was just difficult to carve out the non-driving, non-work time to sit in front of a screen and watch.

I've always meant to mention that, but KD summed it up quite succinctly. (Because I know you must pride yourself on succinctness above all else, eh, K-Dawg?)

• frostyplum says:

I love all these suggestions, especially a $10 tier. I know I can swing $5, but $20 is a different beast, particularly when you monsters put two $20 tiers up. As noted previously, I am also all for video production again, as long as it's not completely life-draining.

6. @SeaPhoam says:

This was a particularly good episode. The '4 teenagers' thing was hilarious and the quiz was fun. 6/10 and a little disturbed by the real ones. Also, I really love the NPR movie reviews. The form and voice is spot on, and there is something wonderfully meta about a fake review of a fake movie. I could listen to that every week.

I like it when you set up a theme and yet keep up a free conversational flow between planned segments. I think it is a better balance than when most of the podcast is preplanned/scripted. Keep up the great work, I really enjoy what you guys are making.

• krisstraub says:

thank you — and i'm inclined to agree! i love doing episodes where our conversation just tumbles out. and i have to be honest, i also am enjoying the device of one of us does a movie trailer, the other does the movie review. maybe next time we can flip who does what.

God, I agree about the movie trailer / review thing! It might even lack a _third_ piece because of how much you change and fill in with the review. I then want to play with it again…

And can I just say how impressive it was that you continued to nail the pronunciation of Tallileeniana? I made it purposely difficult to pronounce and even had to practice myself to get all of the syllables.

• krisstraub says:

i practiced it; the reviewer HAD to get it correct. maybe he had an advantage having a tough name himself (grent tuldges)

• ThomasG says:

Here's my data: when the NPR reviewer describes something completely insane/unexpected happening in the movie I just heard the trailer for, it works really well. The characters have been set up, and here's the punchline from nowhere. It's more effective than Saw It For You via audio but in the same vein.

• frostyplum says:

See, I didn't particularly like Saw It for You, but I love the fake movie reviews. Maybe because they're scripted, not just trying to top one another with outlandishness; more likely because usually Saw It for You was for movies I didn't care about.

7. BostonSean says:

I love the Cthulu commercial but i feel the joke didn't rely on Cthulhu mythos and relied on making fun of twilight.
    I think a funny concept would be what if the kids from twilight adopted a polyamorous life style and than no drama could be found.
    Actually any romance movie where the main characters decide that they really DON'T need to choose one partner if they don't' want to would be pretty funny.

• krisstraub says:

ha ha ha i actually love this. "we're all poly. problem solved." the end

Yeah, I definitely could have pushed it further into the Cthulhu mythos. There was a strong Twilight vibe for sure, but I was also spreading a wide net around all of these "Sort-of popular young adult novel series becomes new mega-franchise but won't succeed and only got one movie." I really just leaned on the fact that once the fake beard was removed, the dude has scary tentacles growing out of his face.

Your idea that the series just ends because they embrace the polyamorous lifestyle is brilliant. Love it!

• BostonSean says:

You just don't see enough polyamorous romantic comedies,
        "He's a day trader who cares only of money, She's a high strung defense lawyer and He's a med student at princeton, and that guy over there just can't move out of his parents house. This Holiday season prepare for: Legal Tender Loving Care."

8. KTJ says:

Gents, happy to throw in my bucks and CONSIDERABLE(ly small) Twitter weight behind your Patreon.

Kris, whoever convinced you to just start asking for money is correct, most of the time, I'd rather give you money than buy a physical object (though i do both).

In general, I'm liking this trend I'm seeing online of people giving, giving, giving, and then (sometimes years later), asking for money to get to the next level. it makes the decision for something like this a no-brainer.

9. Shaurmiath says:

Hey, guys. I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your work for a while now, and I'm glad to have the means to give something back to the show. This is a smart, fun show, and the things we talk about as a community are important. I am proud to support it.

Shine on, you crazy diamonds, etc, etc.

Kris, I know it's tempting as hell, but please don't put your child in a Skinner box.

I wanted "The Ghost and the Goth" to be real so hard. Years and years ago, I wanted to do a comic about a frumpy teenage goth girl who jumps off a bridge and ends up being a cute, svelte ghost. On second thought, I'm glad this thing didn't get off the ground. HOWEVER, it holds a special place in my heart because a lot of that ghost character design went into Celeste, my ghost from Wighthouse.

As much as I love fantasy turning into reality, I can't believe you guys want to turn "The Knife Struck 12" into an actual book. Color me STOKED. But try to keep that KS tier reasonable, I'm giving all this money to a couple schmucks every month. <3

11. Ariane says:

Nice podcast, look forward to listen to the upcoming album soon :)

Great quiz. I was failing, 1/5, but went on to 6/10!

It's too bad Kris didn't introduce Mikey as the PAX keynote speaker. It would have been cool to hear, "…and without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, my best friend, my warm toilet seat, Mikey Neumann."

13. Gurk says:

I always wanted more of the SVU fanfic. That stuff gave me severe giggle fits.

14. musicalPleb says:

This episode made me laugh harder than anything has in a long time. Thanks for making my work day entertaining!

I want to say, first of all, that I'm excited to see you guys branching into new/more media. I love both Mikey's writing and Kris' comics (Broodhollow especially) so anything you make is bound to be good.
    I also wanted to give a little feedback on the music clips you previewed. I think they were very well produced but the vocals were actually a little too loud for the tracks, drowning out a couple musical details in places. Other than that, sounding great!

15. Boyz Klub says:

Last few episodes haven't been very interesting, it's just you guys complimenting each other.

• Stuart Ullman says:

Well, if you look at it that way, then this comments section is TERRIBLE. THE WORST. SO MANY COMPLIMENTS. What about The Footsteps Don't Actually Pan, though? That was one of the best ever!

I'm always up for some constructive feedback.

Sorry that you didn't find them as interesting as other episodes. We try to do a lot of different things and everyone is going to be in to different things.

Hopefull the episode going up in an hour or so will make you feel that we're back on track!