Episode 30 – Sirens is Loud

Big Episode 30! It starts off with a bang(er) and never lets up. This week:

• Mikey and Kris drop their new single, Put ‘Em Up!
  • Kris is very busy, and there is no cure, but Desert Bus can help soften the blow.
  • Mikey selects topics from you in our Kris Choose a Topic segment! You can submit yours and we’ll pit them against each other next week.
  • News from Kim and a startling series of messages from actor Tom Hiddleston. Woof.

25 Responses to Episode 30 – Sirens is Loud

1. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu says:

Straubstep is best step.

2. Katrina says:

Hey Mikey, I prefer the term ‘satchel’ to purse. 😛

Also, if anyone asks there’s some pictures and dimensions here: http://bit.ly/1aLgzkJ It should be plenty big enough for an ipad. Plus it’s got a lot of pockets!

3. Stouffer's Derek says:

Kris, I feel your pain. I, too, had the same problem with Tom. I met him by chance while on holidays, and he followed me home. It was a bit like a dream come true at first, however, he grew increasingly clingy and his behaviour became erratic. I noticed it first when I came home to find my sitting room filled with balloons and copies of Flatliners with Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon. Things came to a head when he climbed to the top of a statue and screamed at shoppers “You are Rachel Weisz and I am your lover, you were born to kneel”, then produced a set of speakers and started playing a Willie Nelson album while eating a Mc Chicken Sandwich. He was removed by Gardai and that’s the last I saw of him. I suppose he moved on.

4. @Facelesscog says:

I just want to take a moment to tell you both how much I appreciate your podcast. You do a tremendous job of being both funny and (when called for) serious. I realize you must get a lot of negative comments, and one positive comment might not make much of a difference…but still, I really just wanted to tell you both how much I'm enjoying the show. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Thanks for the love! I don't think we get that many negative comments, actually. At least, not yet. Heh. We get constructive feedback a lot, that we use to make the show better. "This bit was too long" etc.

The big THREE-OH. You've certainly entered this-cake-doesn't-have-room-for-that-many-candles-so-we-used-garish-numbers-instead territory. Congrats.

I'm going to split this bloated Chainsynopsis into three parts. First, the "Cheerful Green Hill Zone", where positivity dominates. Second, the "Absurd Casino Night Zone", where I utilize cheap humor and nonsense to extract exasperated groans from the reader. Last, the "Quasi-inflammatory Phantom Zone", where I put on plastic fangs and nip at the underbelly of the 'suit a bit. Feel free to use stage-select to skip around.

Cheerful Green Hill Zone:

30 was delicious sauce. Spirits were hot, the musical beats were fresh, and the humor was light and fluffy, like a good meringue. Kris & Mikey's Currant Events made for a great appetizer, with a clean transition into the Dessert Bus Q&A Turnover. It's a good format choice I hope to see in the future. Kris and Tom's Thrice-roasted Goose was a treat, and the commercials were dense and rich, with the finish of the Garage Mats catching me completely off-guard.

K_CAT was spicy. Ducks be eatin' filet mign-bread all day. I thought the first topic set was pretty tasty, but then the fires rose higher and higher, searing everything to a fantastic crisp. My podcast dish-of-the-week was the lively plate of cinema with computer-gravy injection, especially when it roasted into even juicier beef.

In short, this week's service was restaurant-quality, peppered with stellar bits and pieces. I was grinning like an idiot from start to finish.

Absurd Casino Night Zone:

On a sad note, I got a call yesterday from Luann Merryworth, B.C.'s granddaughter. Dr. Haggarfield was out last Monday (in his typical Monday mood) inspecting local gristmills for the historical society. Well, one thing led to another, and he ended up being crushed to death by a stone wheel. Luann told me it was one of his dreams to be on K_CAT, so while it's great you guys chose his topic, it's a shame he didn't live to hear your reply. His Norse funeral should be some time in December.

Now, I've no quarrel with Mr. Straub, but this Neumann fellow? I don't take kindly to unfriendly words about Coulson and his kin. My pappy warned me t'ain't wise to trust a Browncoat. Reckon you ought stay your tongue, Mr. Well-to-do Novelist, sir, or right soon we'll be throwin' hands over the Grave of the Fireflies.

Unfortunately, it is now time to activate Arkham Idol "Cowell-vision" and nitpick the crime scene.

Quasi-inflammatory Phantom Zone:

I found the Tom stuff funny throughout, but I think the distribution and length of the segments was off. When the first part ended with an obvious setup for a late-game bookend, I immediately thought, "this should have been a much shorter tease." I think the majority of the Tom content could have been pushed to the back end, with Kris's story dropping right into the obsessive texting.

Even with such a weight shift in place, I still would like to see a tighter crop on the skits. Please keep in mind, I'm not picturing unreasonable, drastic improvements, as I can only imagine how difficult it must be to trim the fat in real-time.

Bonus Stage: Pepperoni P'Zone

Again, congratulations on a strong thirtieth show. If this trend continues, you should transcend humanity as beings of pure energy in episode 60. I look forward to your apotheosis.

End Of Line

Astute critique as always. We're still getting used to juggling all of the different narratives in skit form, so I imagine we'll get leaner as we go on. They were shorter than the Tiny Turtle segment last week, for example. I think it's always naturally going to be a little fat because everything is unscripted. Kris generally does not know that I'm about to put Tom on the phone, for example.

Glad you enjoyed this week! We had a blast putting it together.

2 for 5! Does K-CAT have enough of a grading curve to make 40% passing? Probably not, ah well.
    I got a 60-Minutes correction AND accused of trying to Fox News Mikey (it did sound that way, didn't it?). Now I just need to get on a PBS-style roundtable to form an unstoppable News Triforce.

I think Kris' Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru show has potential. It could be like Downton Abbey with more sand and blue milk…. and distracting CG.

I can sympathize with Mikey's perspective on SHIELD since it's the same way I felt about Dollhouse ("Is this going to get any better? Please get better.") Epitaph One is my favorite episode of Dollhouse… because it hardly features any of the main characters or the show's usual style. I wanted to watch THAT show.

But, overall, I think SHIELD is okay ("FZZT" week before last was pretty good). Though it definitely has a lot of room to improve/grow. Mikey thinking SHIELD is a fair bit worse than I do and hating Starship Troopers anti-parody style is completely forgiven in light of his praise for Jurassic Park and Firefly.
    My only response to Kris having seen Serenity but not Firefly is: "Ouch, seriously?"

I particularly enjoyed Mikey needing to confirm Jed Whedon was an actual person, heh.

It's very interesting that Kris said he doesn't like Whedon's dialogue style and Mikey said last week that Buffy was his biggest initial influence (which seems to show in The Returners). This seems like the type of direct conflict of attitudes that could blow up in Episode 37.

I'm afraid I also need to issue another correction, to defend my nerd-honor:
    "They were Beretta 9mm's, not shotguns – PFFT, Kyle Douglas"

Though maybe I just digitally edited that to make me look right. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Oh man, now I have to issue a second retraction!

I could have sworn they digitally removed handguns, but I must admit that I was wrong. Thanks for keeping me honest, K Dugs.

• mike pray love says:

you win this time, Kyle_Douglas.

As a show of goodwill, I'll answer your topic in a special "K-Dug K-CaT Rejects" segment of this episode's comment-o-rama.
        —————————
        Tonight on a very special episode of Son of Cthulhu, Cthulhu Junior grows tired of his "SoC" (pronounced "sock") nickname given to him by his classmates. In retaliation, he plunges R'lyeh High into an unending nightmare of screaming horror.

End of episode. Roll credits.

Oooooo. Ladies and gentlemen, 30 weeks in and we have an heir-apparent. Watch your backs Kris and Mikey!

Is Kris really in Australia? Has anyone actually seen him there? Time to open a CSI:css case. "Two Cops! Get over here!"

7. In the continuing spirit of Chainsawsuit coming true… here's Tom Hiddleston drinking a beer in a car. http://youtu.be/KqUSixz60n4

HOLY. CRAP.

That's Tom Hiddleston actually DRINKING A BEER IN A CAR.

Man. The internet is weird and apparently we need to up our Absurdity game!

Now imagine how much your mind would have been blown if he was singing "Danger Zone" or "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"

Great song! Haven't heard a Bobbitt reference in a long time. Never gets old.

The sweet spot was the Kanye's mom/mushroom risotto/pi riff. That's what brings me back week after week.

re: the out-of-date Desert Bus questions, Looks like it's time for Kris to appear on Dancing With the Stars. That was some career, Kris. Kudos.

Garage Mats was perfection. I'm impressed the Pajuxedo incorporated bathroom access into the design because you never see that in evening gowns.

I think it's adorable every time I hear "my wife" or "honey" in ref to Mrs. Neutral. I know that isn't what you're going for but, it's very cute.

I missed Kris on Desert Bus by minutes so I'll try to be better tonight for Mikey. Chat there is insane though–just a blur of rapid fire text. Bobak got 3 grand for his space stuff. You can beat him, Mikey!

I'm nervous. Last year my two lots pulled in 15k (!!!)

I have two lots again this year, one is indeed totally a secret.

So, we'll see how it goes :)

Holy cow! This is all new for me (I thought these people were actually in an RV cruising though Arizona playing games). I was impressed with Bobak. I will *definitely* stay up late to watch you.

Yeah, they continue to get awesome guests to continue pushing the Desert Bus forward to bigger and bigger things. It's an honor to be a part of it every year. I love all those guys.

9. Kurt Lanson/Larson says:

I understand and agree with Mikey that SHIELD sucks. I keep waiting for it to hit its stride and it never does, it always feels like watching a pilot. Like cliched butter spread over too much bread.

10. Jeff McNeil says:

I hate Joss Whedon's dialogue, and I hate shows like Agents of shield or whatever that butt crap is called. I would hate the Star Wars spinoff, and completely agree with Mikey. You guys do a great job and I love you, and we should really grab lunch sometime I think that would be fun, and also give me a job at gearbox. I have no qualifications but I'm ready to learn, thumbs up.

I didn't listen to this podcast for the longest time, but have been listening to it everyday at work almost non-stop catching up, and I love it. Tiny Turtle did a great job, he should get hist own show, like a spinoff of the chainsawsuit podcast, I'll be the writer and it'll be great, just like agents of shield.

11. grasmaaier says:

I love this show, i have always been found of it.