Suicide Squad (2016)
Tagline. This time, “the joke’s” on everyone.
Poster design. Planet Earth, being teabagged by what is assumed to be the Joker’s pale genitalia, with a smile drawn onto it, emerging from a pair of purple leather trousers. Tattooed on the side of the penis are the words “THE JOKE.” There is also an arrow, bearing the legend “This is you,” pointing at the Earth.
- Will Smith agreed to star in Suicide Squad as long as he remained “aggressively unaware” of the movie. He was paid $35 million for the use of his likeness as the full-CGI character “Deadshot.” A Will Smith impersonator provided the voice.
- Although the Joker (Jared Leto) has only four lines of dialogue, he is on screen for the full duration of the movie thanks to a small graphic overlay where a news station logo might normally be.
- Suicide Squad is the first movie to give a clothing store (Hot Topic) a screenwriting credit.
- There was talk of changing the Joker’s origin to show that he was an unwitting pawn of a hyper-intelligent anus which sang all of its dialogue operatically, but Jared Leto’s idea was shot down.
- Cast and crew alike complained that they all had difficulty working with — even reading — the shooting script. The 230-page script was written in red thread on red leather jeans. It was worn by executive producer Zach Snyder.
- Director David Ayer demanded that the 600-gallon tank in which the Enchantress (Cara Delevingne) drowns her victims to be filled with real blood. Negotiators were able to talk Ayer down to urine.
- Following fan backlash, producers changed Margot Robbie’s character’s name back to “Harley Quinn.” The cast was called into post-production to dub over all instances of the name “Disco Titties.”
- In response to Ghostbusters (2016), DC’s early marketing sought to position Suicide Squad as a feminist movie, putting special emphasis on scenes where female characters chose to be murdered by the Joker.
- To soften the tone of the film, “Killer Croc” was renamed “Alleged Killer Croc.”
- Due to pressure on the MPAA, Suicide Squad is the first G-rated film to portray a decapitation at the moment of orgasm.
- The United Nations Headquarters does not have an “emergency roller coaster.”
- Continuity. The Joker’s lower back tattoo occasionally reads “BIGEST FART” instead of “BIGGEST FART.”
- Katana (Karen Fukuhara) wields a Scottish claymore for the entirety of Suicide Squad, repeatedly claiming that it is an “authentic Japanese weapon.” In the after-credits scene, as a nod to the audience, the claymore splits open to reveal it had always contained a katana. However, a Scottish claymore with a katana inside continues to not be an authentic Japanese weapon.
- Incorrectly regarded as mistake. Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) only appears in crocodile monster form briefly in his first scene, right before a government agent shoots him with a “decrocodilizing ray.” While this seems like it could have been a cost-saving measure to avoid doing makeup for the character, the government agent does say “this decrocodilizing ray will let you blend in, Croc.” Killer Croc is then absent for the rest of the movie.
- Equipment error. All characters load their firearms by pouring bullets into the muzzle.
- An object with the word “boomerang” written on it will not then act like a boomerang.
- A boomerang with the words “[character name]’s boomerang” written on it would not “return” to that character with lethal precision.
- A boomerang would not be eligible for the Purple Heart, not even “the biggest one ever made.”
- Credit confusion. The climactic signature line the Joker delivers before assassinating the President — “The Joker’s here to see ya, I’ll give ya diarrhea!” — was not ad-libbed, but in fact written by long-time Ayer collaborator Wesley Strick (Cape Fear).
- Harley Quinn invites the Joker into her cell for sex despite it being impossible to be aroused by Jared Leto’s Joker.
- It would take more bullets than were ever manufactured for Deadshot to “shoot the Earth back onto its axis.”
- Suicide Squad has no ending. The movie is still playing in the theater; audiences just all tend to leave around the same part.
Amanda Waller (Viola Davis). What we need is some kind of squad that answers to us, is completely expendable, and gives us full deniability.
Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman). A squad prepared to kill themselves… to complete the mission.
Amanda Waller. Exactly. Exactly that, in a squad.
Rick Flag. Kill themselves… squad. We could call them the Suic —
MTV’s Are You The One’s Gio in an uncredited cameo. Hey, are you the ones making all that noise? Keep it down!
Deadshot. I made my daughter a promise. I promised never to commit suicide. If I join your squad, what does that say about me?
Harley Quinn. It’s not literally about suicide. It’s just called that because of how dangerous it is.
Deadshot. Whew, that makes me feel a lot better.
The Joker. Let old Joker put a smile on that sad face! A smile… of blood! (he holds up a dead raccoon with Christmas lights on it that spell the word “AIDS”) Aw… did the bad man scare you? What if I… go pee-pee on the Bible!
Government agent. You’ve gone too far, Joker! Stop!
The Joker. Uh oh! This clown needs to wipe up this mess… and this should do nicely… (he reaches for an American flag)
Government agent. I’m questioning everything!
Read more Saw It For You entries